Engineering and Production
Control & Instrumentation Engineer
- Company Name: STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
- Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
- Salary: Salary £29,900 to £40,014 (dependent upon qualifications and experience)
- Position details:
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and engineering.
STFC’s ISIS facility is a leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. The facility performs cutting edge research into the structure and properties of materials at an atomic and molecular level.
About The Role
We now have an opportunity for an individual to provide high quality control and instrumentation systems to scientific staff, support groups and visiting users. The role offers the opportunity to manage and develop the ISIS Electronic User Support Group, which provides beamline scientists and users of the 34 neutron and muon instruments with control and instrumentation equipment and technical support.
The C&I equipment developed and supported by the group includes, motion control systems, temperature control systems, gas management & intensification systems, high precision AC and DC sources, and low power HV sources. The group is responsible for supporting beam line infrastructure including, Motion Control Systems and Personnel Safety Systems.
Further responsibilities will include;
- supporting, maintaining and repairing C&I equipment, beam line motion control systems and personnel safety systems
- contributing to the development of C&I equipment
- producing technical drawings and documentation
- line managing a team of technicians including the teams’ safe working practices, ensuring compliance within safety policy
- supporting, maintaining and repairing beam line motion control systems and personnel safety systems.
You will also be required to work as a classified radiation worker.
Suitable candidates will be educated to at least HNC or HND level within an electrical or electronic engineering discipline.
You will have a strong electrical or electronic engineering background with experience of fault finding and repair of electronic systems, along with experience of working with control and/or instrumentation equipment.
Experience of managing a technical team and of project management are desirable.
You should demonstrate an understanding of temperature and motion control systems, and machine safety principles.
An exceptional index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered, as well as an onsite nursery, subsidised restaurant, gym and sports facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please visit our job board at http://topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc228329_6493.aspx . Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on 01793 867000.
- Job type: Engineer
- To apply: http://topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc228329_6493.aspx
- Contact name: Emma Chapman-Jones
- E-mail: Emma.Chapman-Jones@uksbs.co.uk
- Web Site: http://topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc228329_6493.aspx